Call for Abstracts
3rd National Bike Summit
May 13th-14th, 2019 in Ottawa
Vélo Canada Bikes invites you to submit an abstract to present at the 3rd National Bike Summit. Vélo Canada Bikes is a pan-Canadian non-profit organization that advocates for increased federal support for everyday cycling in Canada. Our vision is a Canada where people of all ages and abilities can cycle safely and conveniently, in any community, for work, school, everyday errands, or leisure.
During the summit we will gather with politicians, researchers, industry, and private and public sector cycling supporters to discuss how to create a bike friendly Canada. As part of the event we want to demonstrate that Canada will benefit greatly from an increased cycling mode share and we will be showcasing cycling research, policy, advocacy and best practices from across the country and beyond.
We are looking for oral presentations and the deadline for submitting an abstract is 11:59pm ET on March 1st, 2019.
The theme of the 3rd Summit is “Pedal Power: People, Planet, Profit”, and we are looking for presentations that address the following topics:
- Bikes and the Planet: How bikes can help move Canada towards a more sustainable future and help fight climate change
- The Business of Bicycles: From import duties, to the costs/barriers of local manufacturing, to the economic benefits bikes can bring to Canada, and to how small businesses can gain by catering to customers on bikes.
- Cycling and Equity: Making cycling available for all in Canada, gender equity, access to bicycle infrastructure, breaking down stereotypes about who rides and why
- Health benefits of Cycling: how cycling benefits the health of people across Canada
- Bicycle Tourism: The development and economic benefits of bicycle tourism in Canada
- Policy and Cycling: How policy has or can be used to create a bike friendly country
Submission Details for Oral Presentations
We are looking for two types of presentations that address the Summit topics listed above:
Research Abstracts: Abstracts should clearly state (1) the purpose of the research, (2) methods (3) results/ expected findings, and (4) conclusions and next steps.
Policy/Advocacy/Practice Abstracts: Abstracts should clearly state (1) the focus of the presentation, (2) what delegates will learn (3) key findings from your work (4) conclusions and next steps.
The word limit for all abstracts is 300 words (not including title, author information, and city/province).
All submissions will be considered for either a 20 minute oral presentation or a 5 minute speed oral presentation. Authors can indicate preference of presentation type on abstract submission form.
Please submit your abstract using this online form. *Please note: we will not accept commercial presentations.
The Vélo Canada Bikes Events Planning Committee will guide a review of abstracts using the following criteria:
- Relevance: Does the proposed presentation address a Summit topic?
- Originality: How interesting, novel, and innovative is the presentation/research?
- Design and methodology: Is the study design/presentation approach robust?
- Supporting data: Is the data reliable and are the results clearly explained?
- Quality: Is the writing clear and presentation objective clearly stated?
Notifications of acceptance will be sent via email in early March 2019. All presenting authors must register for the Summit and are responsible for their own transportation and accommodations. Summit registration is not complimentary. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.